MANDATORY REPORTING LAWS IN TEXAS
In Texas, laws governing reporting of child abuse and neglect:
Chapter 261 of the Texas Family Code
- A report of child abuse is not an accusation or a proven fact. It does not require a reporter to be certain of abuse or neglect.
- In Texas: Degree of certainty which must be met is that the person reporting has “cause to believe” that abuse or neglect has occurred or will occur.
- CPS investigates and will determine the nature and extent of the problem, evaluate the child’s condition and safety, and if appropriate, initiate action to protect the child.
- Law enforcement agency receives the report.
- Professionals specifically are mandated to report within 48 hours from discovery or suspicion.
To Report Suspected Abuse
Call 1-800-252-5400 or