November 6, 2014

Children’s Placements


Every foster care placement must meet minimum licensing standards and contract provisions to provide certain services to the children in its care:  transporting children to visits and to court, providing adequate clothing or food, etc.  In addition, the Rights of Children and Youth in Foster Care provides certain rights to children and youth regarding their placements.

Rights of Children and Youth in Foster Care

Minimum standards for placements, including foster care agencies, group homes, and RTCs

DFPS Contract Requirements for placements

CPS Handbook Provisions Regarding Placement Options and Processes


There are several factors to be weighed when making placement recommendations, but the law requires the least restrictive, most family-like placement for the child, including placement with siblings and in the child’s community, that meets the child’s needs.

Placement options for children in DFPS custody, from least to most restrictive, include reunification with family, relative or kinship placement, foster family home, group home, residential treatment center, psychiatric hospital, nursing home or state-supported living center.

List of placements and placement agencies with which DFPS has a contract

Placement Search Directory (includes licensing violations).


When volunteers have a concern about a child’s placement, they should bring it to the attention of the placement or their agency, and with the CPS worker.

If your concerns are not addressed, contact the Office of Consumer Affairs at 1-800-720-7777. OCA will respond to you within 24 hours, guide you through making a report to the proper entity, look into your concern, and respond to you in writing within 30 days. OCA will also document your complaint and use it to identify patterns in certain placements or child placing agencies.

NOTE:  If at any time you suspect abuse and neglect, you must report it directly to DFPS’ hotline at 1-800-252-5400.